West of Westcott
851 Euclid Ave
- Built: After 1908
- Architect: Unknown
This two-apartment house represents the second wave of residential building on Euclid Avenue – when rental flats replaced single family homes in the decade after 1908. Across America, flats became increasing common after 1900 and various models are promoted in house catalogs. It was common for an owner to live in one flat and rent the other, and sometimes members of the same family would occupy the entire structure. Still, these houses were also erected as investments.
There is some attempt at grandeur here. Four tall wooden piers support the second floor porch and support the overhanging roof and link this structure to the many neo-Classical civic buildings of the time. Several other houses on Westcott and Euclid have (or had) similarly impressive classically-inspired facades.