West of Westcott
317 Clarendon Street / Torbert Family House, later Jeremy and Lucinda Jackson family house
- Built: ca. 1912
- Architect: Justus Moak Scrafford
This large well-sited house, built around 1912, was one of several homes of prominent Syracusans erected in a second phase of building at the crest of Clarendon Street. One reason these houses are so much more impressive than their neighbors is that they sit on wide lots, allowing full facades, and these are set fairly close to the edge of the hill and are thus fully visible from the street below. This Colonial Revival style house is notable for its full four-column Doric porch with a decorative balcony rail above, and its three bold projecting third floor dormers, set into a hipped roof, with a fourth dormer facing east. The siting of the house provided impressive views to the south from all the upper floor windows. A large matching garage is set far back behind the house. It is best viewed from Ackerman Avenue near the entrance to Thornden Park.
317 Clarendon was the home of Edward L. (1877(?)-1966) and Daisy Torbert from 1912 until Daisy’s death in 1952, at which time the house was sold. Torbert was an officer and later Director of the Onondaga Pottery Company (later Syracuse China), for 62 years. He was born in Davenport, Iowa. Named assistant manager of Onondaga Pottery in 1910, he filled many administrative posts with the company until his retirement in 1961. At different times Torbert as president of the United States Potters Association and the American Vitrified China Association. Involved in civic life, he served as Chairman of the Onondaga County Parks Board from 1929 to 1960, and on the boards of numerous other civic organizations. Daisy was active member of the Asa Danforth Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution and other civic groups and hosted meetings at the house beginning in 1925.
This house, now owned by Trinity Fellowship Congregation, has supported the large family of Jeremy and Lucinda Jackson since 1979. Several of the Jackson grown children with their own children are now home owners in the neighborhood.
Gruber, Samuel D. “Syracuse Architect: Justus Moak Scrafford (1878-1947),” My Central New York (May 13. 2014)
“Edward L. Torbert dies; former pottery official,” Syracuse Herald-Journal ((May 16, 1966)