West of Westcott
484 Clarendon Street / 700 Lancaster Ave
- Built: ca. 1910s
- Architect: Unknown
This area was made ready for settlement in the late 1890s. In 1895 there is notice of a vitrified sewer being laid on Clarendon (then Clarke) from Westcott to Maryland, on Maryland form Clarendon to Redfield (then Frank) and on Redfield from Maryland to Lancaster. (The Syracuse Standard, Dec. 28, 1895)
This house, probably built in the ‘teens, is notable, like 701 Ackerman Avenue, for the extensive use of cast stone block in its construction. In addition to foundations, some builders enjoyed using cast stone for upper walls. The walls would be mostly fire-proof and easy to build. They are strong and can carry considerable weight. The air in the hollow blocks also can serve as insulation.